The present church of St Mary the Virgin, with its nave dating probably from the years 1275-1300, stands on the site of an earlier building established in Norman times. It is thought that the tower was last rebuilt in 1510 and the oldest of the peal of of six bells is inscribed AD1606. It was cast and hung by George Purdue of Taunton.
The font, made from a solid block of Purbeck marble, dates from 1140 and the pulpit, the work of AM Giles, a well-known Wellington sculptor, was commissioned in 1891.
Between 1838 and 1891 there was a gallery in the church which over the years accommodated a barrel organ, the church band and the church singers.
|Team Vicar||Church Wardens|
|Rev’d Alan Ellacott (01823) 669824||Mr Colin Rayson (07753146191)
Mrs Betty Dummett (01823 664775)